Wednesday, October 17, 2007

And a few more...

Here are a few more photos of my outing last Sunday. Unfortunately I then got a cold and didn't leave the house for a few days and today had to haul myself out of bed to go to the archive before the "I haven't done any research this week" guilt set in. This weekend I will try to take some more interesting pictures of less, how shall we put it... touristy locales.

I did have a request for some footage of bombed-out Paris from World War II and I am happy to inform my readers that the Germans never really bombed Paris. It was much too easy just to march down the Champs-Elysees and much too pretty to destroy. Therefore the best WWII footage you will get (besides Hitler at the Eiffel Tower - included below) are a few markers to deported Jewish children which hang outside of elementary schools and the Shoah Memorial (which is apparently only a few blocks away from my apartment, though I can't say for sure as I have never been there.)


Normandy was pretty much destroyed though. I once had a nice postcard of the before and after with death and destruction on the left and then pretty restored cathedrals on the right. I'll have to see if I can find it for you.

But here is modern day Paris again. The first image is of the Palais de Justice on the Ile de la Cité, with Sainte Chapelle in the background. Apparently Sainte Chapelle is the most beautiful church in the world, but I have never been in so I cannot corroborate that theory. Plus I haven't visited all the churches in the world.



Next is a photo of a lot of rollerskaters careening through the streets of Paris. I wanted to cross the street to go home from my nice walkie, but could I? Oh no, I had to wait for fully 10 minutes while thousands of people in roller skates took up the whole street. I have no idea why. Strange things like this often happen in Paris. Why just the day before I couldn't go to Monoprix across the street because of the march against Genetically modified foods that was taking place in my neighborhood!



And finally here is the Hotel de Ville (or City Hall) where in winter they put up a big ice skating rink and in Rugby season you can watch the matches on the lawn. Apparently they had a hideous Pavarotti memorial concert here last week as well, but of course I missed that.



Well that's all for now. I shall take some more interesting pictures this weekend and go in search of hidden mysteries.

1 comment:

Could-be-a-model said...

Why are there thousands of roller skaters outside in the same place? That seems a bit odd, and, well, a tad froggie if you ask me.